The University of Arkansas is committed to the recruitment and graduation of veterans of the United States armed forces. In addition, the University is a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon Program. The program helps cover the difference between non-resident and resident tuition that is not covered by the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Students are placed on the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come, first-served basis. To see if you qualify, please contact the Veterans Resource and Information Center.

When to Apply

Students interested in applying to the University of Arkansas for the fall semester are urged to apply through the early admission process. By applying early, students take advantage of scholarship, housing, and orientation privileges; however, regular fall applications will be accepted until August 1. Be sure to check out our dates and deadlines page.

Application Process

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my admission classification?

On your application, you will be asked about your admission classification. Classification definitions and links to admission criteria are provided below.

New Freshman – a student just graduating from high school or who has not completed any college level credit since high school graduation.

Transfer Freshman – a student who has graduated high school and who has completed fewer than 24 hours of college level credit from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning

Transfer Student – a student who has completed 24 or more credit hours from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning

Returning student - a student who has previously attended the University.

What transfer credit am I eligible for?

Generally, the University may award transfer credit for work completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning if courses are not technical, vocational, or remedial in nature, if they apply to a baccalaureate degree, and if the student earned a grade of C or better. For an outline of more specific policies or to view transfer equivalencies, please visit Transfer Credit.

The University offers 6 hours of credit for service in the United States Armed Forces. For more information, please contact Veterans Resource and Information Center by calling (479) 575-VRIC (8742).

What happens after I submit my application?
If submitted online, your application is downloaded during the next business day and processed in the order it is received. If you have submitted all required transcripts and credentials, we will process your application in 7-10 business days and contact you by mail regarding your decision. If we require additional credentials from you, we will contact you by mail.
What happens after I am admitted?

Once admitted by the University, you will receive a packet of information outlining your next steps. Returning students should plan to speak with their advisors regarding registration. As a new student, generally you will need to:

  • Submit immunization records
  • Activate your university e-mail account
  • Register for orientation
  • As an option for transfer students or those students who are older than 21 years of age, submit a contract for university housing. New students will register for classes during or after completing orientation.
Who is the University's VA certifying official?

The University of Arkansas is a VA approved school. The VA certifying official for the campus is Juanita Muckleroy. You may contact Juanita by e-mail,, or by phone, (479) 575-8742 (VRIC).

How will I finance my education?

For up-to-date information on GI Bill benefits, please visit the federal GI Bill website. You may also find a comprehensive overview of the new GI Bill benefits by visiting the Military's GI Bill overview.

The University of Arkansas offers scholarships to new and continuing students as well as scholarships awarded specifically to veterans of the U.S. armed forces. Program outlines and criteria are available by visiting the scholarship site. Be sure to discuss scholarship opportunities with your major department or college.

Students should also complete and submit the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) to be considered for other federal financial aid programs. We recommend you complete your FAFSA no later than March 1, if you plan to begin classes in the fall or in the early fall if you plan to begin in the spring.

What if I need assistance filling out VA benefits forms?
The University's Veterans Resource & Information Center (VRIC), located in room 632 of the Arkansas Student Union, is eager to assist you. You may contact the VRIC staff by calling (479) 575-8742. In addition, the Washington County Veterans Service Officer is located in the Washington County Courthouse at the intersection of N. College and Dickson St. You may contact the officer by calling (479) 444-1767.
What medical care is available to me?
As a student of the University of Arkansas, you may make appointments with the Pat Walker Health Center to see a physician, mental health clinician, or gynecologist. In addition, Fayetteville is home to the U.S. Government Veterans Administration Hospital at 1100 N. College Ave. To reach the OEF/OIF program manager at the local VA hospital, please call (479) 443-4301, ext. 4123.
What student organizations are available for veterans' interests?
Founded in 2008, Military Past and Present on Campus is a student organization on campus committed to lending support to current and past service members of any branch of the U.S. military.