When to Apply

Students interested in applying to the University of Arkansas for the fall semester are encouraged to apply through the early admission process beginning in July each prior year. By applying early, students take advantage of priority scholarship, housing, and orientation options. 

Application Process

Follow these steps to complete your application to the University of Arkansas

  1. Apply

    Visit the apply now section below to complete and submit the online application for admission. You can pay the application fee either by credit card when using the online application or by forwarding a check or money order to the Office of Admissions.

  2. Send Your Transcripts

    Have your official high school transcripts, showing class rank, cumulative grade point average, and courses taken, sent to the Office of Admissions. Please note that student-submitted transcripts are not official.

  3. Submit Test Scores

    Have your ACT and/or SAT test scores, if applicable, sent to the University of Arkansas (ACT-0144 and SAT-6866) or mailed to the Office of Admissions. Our Test Score Policy has information about testing requirements and dates. If submitting SAT scores, review our Concordance Table.

  4. Connect with Veteran and Military-Affiliated Student Center

    The Veteran and Military-Affiliated Student Center (VMSC) understands that military-affiliated students have different needs and adapts their services to the individual student. We serve as the central point of contact for prospective or current University of Arkansas military-affiliated students.

  5. Accept or Decline

    Notify the U of A of your decision to accept or decline admission.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The University of Arkansas is committed to the recruitment and graduation of military-affiliate students.

In addition, the university is a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon Program. The program helps cover a portion of the difference between non-resident and resident tuition that is not covered by the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Students are placed on the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come, first-served basis. To see if you qualify, please contact the Veteran and Military-Affiliated Student Center.


On your application, you will be asked about your admission classification. Classification definitions are as follows:

  • New Freshman – a student just graduating from high school or who has not completed any college level credit since high school graduation.
  • Transfer Freshman – a student who has graduated high school and who has completed fewer than 24 hours of college level credit from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
  • Transfer Student – a student who has completed 24 or more credit hours from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
  • Returning student - a student who has previously attended the University.

Generally, the University may award transfer credit for work completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning if courses are not technical, vocational, or remedial in nature, if they apply to a baccalaureate degree, and if the student earned a grade of C or better. For an outline of more specific policies or to view transfer equivalencies, please visit Transfer Credit.

The University offers 6 hours of credit for service in the United States Armed Forces. For more information, please contact Veterans Resource and Information Center by calling (479) 575-VRIC (8742).

If submitted online, your application is downloaded during the next business day and processed in the order it is received. Once you have submitted all required transcripts and credentials, we will process your application and contact you by mail regarding your decision. If we require additional credentials from you, we will contact you by mail.

Once admitted by the University, you will receive a packet of information outlining your next steps. Returning students should plan to speak with their advisors regarding registration. As a new student, generally you will need to:

  • Submit immunization records to immu@uark.edu
  • Activate your university e-mail account
  • Register for orientation. Freshmen and Transfer Freshmen will be advised and register for classes during orientation, while Transfer students should contact their academic college's advising center for advising and registration.
  • Submit a contract for university housing (optional for transfer students or students 21 years of age and older ). New students will register for classes during or after completing orientation.

The University of Arkansas is a VA approved school. The University of Arkansas is also approved by the Florida State Approving Agency to certify for VA education benefits for residents of Florida. The VA certifying official for the campus is Debra Ann Labounty. You may contact Debra by e-mail, vmsc@uark.edu, or by phone, (479) 575-8742.

For up-to-date information on GI Bill® benefits, please visit the federal GI Bill® website. You may also find a comprehensive overview of the new GI Bill® benefits by visiting the Military's GI Bill® overview. Additionally, you may meet with the Veteran and Military-Affiliated Student Center's staff to discuss military educational benefits you may qualify for. Call 479-575-8742 for an appointment.

The University of Arkansas offers scholarships to new and continuing students as well as scholarships awarded specifically to military-affiliated individuals. Program outlines and criteria are available by visiting the scholarship site. Be sure to discuss scholarship opportunities with your major's department or college.

Students should also complete and submit the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) to be considered for other federal financial aid programs. We recommend you complete your FAFSA no later than March 1, if you plan to begin classes in the fall or in the early fall if you plan to begin in the spring.

The University's Veteran and Military-Affiliated Student Center, located in suites 115-116 of Garland Center, is eager to assist you. You may contact the Center's staff by calling (479) 575-8742. In addition, the Washington County Veterans Service Officer is located in the Washington County Courthouse at the intersection of N. College and Dickson St. You may contact the officer by calling (479) 444-1767.

As a student of the University of Arkansas, you may make appointments with the Pat Walker Health Center to see a physician, mental health clinician, or gynecologist. In addition, Fayetteville is home to the U.S. Government Veterans Administration Hospital at 1100 N. College Ave. To reach the OEF/OIF program manager at the local VA hospital, please call (479) 443-4301, ext. 4123.

Razorback Student Veterans is a student organization on campus committed to lending support to current and past service members of any branch of the U.S. military.

Is the University of Arkansas test-optional?

The University of Arkansas will offer test-optional admission, as well as other application pathways.

However, please keep the following requirements in mind:

  • You will need to submit ACT or SAT test scores by February 1, 2024, to be considered for most merit-based scholarships and fellowships.
    You must have ACT, SAT, or Next Generation Accuplace scores on file by May 1, 2024, for placement and enrollment purposes during orientation and to comply with state requirements.

What are the students like at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville?

Located in Fayetteville — one of the nation’s best places to live — the University of Arkansas is a destination for students interested in business, engineering, architecture, art, education, and the humanities. Our students have access to internships with some of the world’s most famous companies. They participate in one-on-one research with renowned faculty and study abroad in more than 50 countries. They learn in small classes, led by professors passionate about the subjects they teach. Best of all, our students have the academic support and career guidance needed to prepare for success after graduation.

Where will I live on campus?

Freshmen are required to live in University Housing their first year, unless you live within 70 miles of U of A; then you are able to live at home with a parent or legal guardian.

There are many diverse, on-campus housing options where roommates become lifelong friends and fun activities are just steps away. The university offers Living Learning Communities where students are grouped based on major or interest and can participate in additional programming throughout the year.

Regardless of where you live, you can expect the support of a professional staff dedicated to providing an on-campus experience that will promote academic excellence and personal growth. Please visit our housing website for more information.

 What about Financial Aid and Scholarships?

The university is committed to assisting you in finding the means to earn an education here, whether through one of our many scholarship programs or by a combination of loans, grants, and/or work-study opportunities. Learn more at finaid.uark.edu.

Our academic scholarships are awarded between February and April to accepted students with the best grades, strongest coursework, most competitive standardized test scores, and strongest indications of leadership potential and community involvement.

Our counselors are always available to work with students and their families to come up with a plan for financing their U of A education. We encourage you to come and talk with us if you ever feel that finances will get in the way of enrolling in classes or continuing your education.

Can I find a job?

When approached wisely, working while in school can be a wonderful opportunity. We recommend that you first seek part-time employment on campus. If you are on financial aid, work study may be a part of your aid package. The Financial Aid Office (in Silas Hunt Hall) has a list of jobs available for these funds.

You may also work on campus as a regular, part-time employee. In both areas, the range of jobs are huge — from library work to answering telephones to assisting faculty in their labs. To learn about some of these opportunities, call our campus employment hot-line at (479) 575-5627 (JOBS) or view the listings online.

Fayetteville and the surrounding Northwest Arkansas region provide excellent employment opportunities as well.

When do I register for courses?

All incoming freshmen will attend New Student Orientation before their first semester on campus, during which time you will meet with academic advisors before finalizing your class schedule.

Once you begin your freshman year, you will be able to register in advance before leaving for break each semester. You will also have another chance to register for classes before each new semester begins. The process is managed through the university's student information system – UAConnect.

What if I need academic help?

College advisors are able to connect students with a variety of academic support resources. Libraries, computer labs, mentoring by upperclassmen, the Student Success Center, and more are available to help all students through the academic challenges they may encounter.

Instructors have office hours and are available to meet with you about any concerns or questions regarding course material.

What if I get sick?

The professional staff at the Pat Walker Health Center can take care of almost any medical issue from X-rays to counseling. Primary care physicians, specialists, nurse practitioners, and counselors are on hand to address both routine and emergency medical and mental health issues. Each medical clinic can bill with most major insurance providers. Guidance about billing and insurance is available on the Pat Walker Health Center website.

For convenient access to prescriptions, there is a pharmacy in the Walmart on Campus location across Garland Ave. from the Health Center.

How much will it cost for me to attend the U of A?

A higher education is an important and sometimes costly investment. A breakdown of tuition and fees is available through the Office of Financial Aid. We encourage students and their families to use our online Tuition and Fees Estimator to get an idea of the cost associated with attending the U of A.

How will I get around? Is a car necessary?

The Razorback Transit System is a great way to get around campus and explore the surrounding town of Fayetteville. It serves the entire campus while also providing access to and from residential neighborhoods, supermarkets, local banks, the Fayetteville Square, Walmart, and the mall, all free of charge.

Students are allowed to bring their cars to campus. This is convenient for students who wish to go home for the weekend or explore the local area. Students wishing to park a car on campus must purchase a parking permit from Parking and Transit or pay hourly at some locations.

Will I get lost in the crowd?

Transitioning to a large campus can be an exciting and, at times, overwhelming venture. We encourage you to get involved in the campus community by attending sporting events, theatre performances, concerts, films, art exhibitions, and much more. The university offers over 400 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) based on interests ranging from rock climbing to living optimistically, or you can join Associated Student Government (ASG) to help develop initiatives that benefit all students. To stay active, explore our many club and intramural sports. At the U of A, there is no shortage of opportunities to connect with other students outside of the classroom.

What about the quality of the faculty and academic programs?

The University of Arkansas was recently elevated to the highest possible classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, a status held by only a select number of the top universities in the nation. The hard work and innovative research of our internationally-recognized faculty help the University of Arkansas maintain its status as a leader in academia.

When do students declare their major?

Many incoming students are undecided about their major. University core courses, which are common to nearly every major on campus, are designed for flexibility during the first two years. However, you are encouraged to work closely with an advisor to ensure graduation within four years.

Some majors are more defined and structured. If you are interested in architecture or engineering, you should try to decide as early as possible. Architecture students should declare their major at the time of admission, and engineering students should declare their major during the First-Year Engineering program.

Does the U of A offer any internship or co-op programs?

Yes, our students have access to internship and co-op program opportunities in almost every academic program.

Co-ops provide students with a salary as well as practical work experience while they attend classes on campus. Students may even receive academic credit for their co-op experiences.

Students also have the opportunity for internship and co-op experiences abroad in countries such as Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Spain, and Japan. Many students also pursue internship opportunities with one of the many Fortune 500 companies located in the Northwest Arkansas region.

Does the U of A offer career placement?

The Career Development Center (CDC) works hard to help University of Arkansas students be competitive for the jobs they will pursue after graduation. Counselors can help you look for internships, polish your résumé, improve your interviewing skills, and more. Each year the CDC organizes multiple career fairs which allow you to interact with representatives from companies across the nation.

Should I pick a major now?

You do not have to pick a major now. Coursework during the first two years is flexible for most majors. However, students pursuing some majors - such as architecture - are encouraged to declare early. If you are undecided, you should discuss major possibilities during your first semester with an academic advisor.

What programs are there for incoming freshmen?

New Student and Family Programs oversee many programs such as R.O.C.K. Camp, UARK Cardinal Nights, A-Week, and leadership programs to help new students find their place on campus and meet fellow classmates.

Will I feel safe at the University of Arkansas?

Campus safety measures include 90 campus emergency phones connected to central police dispatch, closed circuit security cameras, and electronic doors requiring security cards for access to residence hall. Students who wish for additional assistance can contact Razorback Patrol and request a walking escort. UAPD officers also are available for assistance. Another option for both on-campus and off-campus is Safe Ride, a regularly scheduled van service.

The Pat Walker Health Center plays a major role in teaching students safety strategies. Programs focus on risk reduction, personal safety, and the safety of others.

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, more information concerning safety along with the annual Clery security report can be found on uapd.uark.edu. The report in its entirety is available for download as a PDF. A paper copy of the report will be provided upon request.

Does the U of A have an admissions waitlist?

Depending on enrollment capacity, the U of A will place some applicants on a waitlist. Waitlisted applicants will be admitted as space becomes available, with preference given to the most academically prepared applicants. See our Waitlist FAQs in the admissions decision section for more information.

Ready to Apply? Apply Now

The New Student Center manages your application process, including applying for admission, uploading related documents, applying for scholarship opportunities and registering for new student orientation.

Setting Up a New Student Center Account

  1. Select “First-time users” to create an account to start a new application.

  2. Enter the requested information. Use a personal email address that you will have access to at all times, even after graduation.

  3. Check your email for a message from the Office of Admissions with the subject line “Account Created -  University of Arkansas Undergraduate Admissions,” and follow the steps listed there. Take note of the PIN included in this message – it is your temporary password to activate your account.

  4. Follow the “Activate Account” link in this message to activate your account and establish a password.

Applied Through the Common App?

If you applied using the Common App, set up your New Student Center Account using the same email address associated with your Common App application.

Check Your Application Status

Log in with the email address and password you set up before applying. Your Application Checklist will list the outstanding items for your application. View more check status details.

Common Troubleshooting Tips

Forgot your password or lose your PIN?

Visit the reset password page for returning users. Do not create an account using a separate email address. If you need help, please call 479-575-5346.

If you don’t receive an account set up email with the subject line “University of Arkansas Online Registration,” be sure to check your spam folder. We also recommend adding uofa@uark.edu to your email contacts list to avoid important emails being delivered to the wrong folder. If the email isn’t in your spam folder, use the “Forgot Password” feature to receive a new email.

Request Information Form

Request Information

Sign up for our mailing list and we will send you personalized information based on your interests, as well as invitations to special events throughout the year.