Components of the College Board’s redesign will be emphasized: Curriculum frameworks, exam format, guided inquiry labs, course audit. This will include some hands-on work with the 2013-2016 practice exams, and the 2014-2023 released exams.
Approximately half of the sixteen labs in the College Board’s AP CHEMISTRY Guided-Inquiry Experiments manual will be reviewed or conducted, dependent upon lab availability and content needs of the participants. Discussion will focus on the merits of using kits as well as adding guided inquiry components to existing labs.
Tentative Institute Schedule
- Course and Exam Description
- Spectroscopy Lab: What’s the concentration of that solution?
- Percent Copper in Brass Lab
- AP Classroom
- Kinetics: Rate Law for Crystal Violet + Hydroxide Lab
- Electrochemistry: Redox Titration Lab
- Equilibrium: Shifting Reactions Lab
- Assess and Reflect (Personal Progress Checks)
- Thermochemistry: Hess’ Law Lab
- Strategies and Pedagogical Tools
- Acids, Bases, Buffers: Creating a buffered Solution Lab
- Calculating Ksp for Weak Bases Lab
- 2022 FRQ Exam Review
What participants should bring:
In accordance with university policy, all chemistry teachers must wear long pants, shirts with sleeves, and closed-toe shoes on days that the class is in a lab.
David Wentz, Consultant
David Wentz taught public high school science and math in Arkansas for twenty-six years, including twenty-two years in AP Chemistry and eight years in AP Calculus AB. He holds a BSE in Secondary Education from the University of Arkansas. David was the National Math and Science Initiative’s Science Teacher of the Year for Arkansas in 2012. Along with consulting for the College Board, he has consulted for National Math and Science Initiative as a presenter to AP Chemistry teachers at summer workshops and mock readings, to Pre AP Chemistry teachers at Laying The Foundation workshops, and to AP Chemistry students in NMSI’s Initiative for Military Families. In addition to consulting, he has been an AP Chemistry Reader for ETS since the 2012 reading. David has been married for thirty-six years and has one daughter and one granddaughter.